Wednesday, June 5, 2013

180 Days Around the Sun

What can be done in 180 days around the world? Let me tell you. 180 days seems like an eternity when I am living each one with 20 little people who can't tie their own shoes or button their own pants or think "hanitizer" (hand sanitizer) is an acceptable alternative to washing their hands after the using the bathroom. But then the last day comes and it seems like yesterday they came in as scared little post-kinders. Through the good and the bad, the happy and the sad (is there a song out there with those lyrics?? If not - DIBS!) each one becomes a part of who I am and I hope I have become a part of who they are.

Every year I read them a good-bye poem ... and cry ... this year was no different for me. My kiddos even joined in this time. Some openly crying, some quietly shedding a tear, some being "manly" and holding it back and ... well, some laughing because their teacher was crying (can't win them all). However what made this year a little different (and a little more special) was that I shared the fact that I wouldn't be returning next year to watch them grow and become amazing 2nd graders, 3rd graders, and so on. This caused more drainage of the eyes and a stampede towards the tissue boxes. As my kiddos showered me with hugs and compliments, I'll miss yous and don't leaves, I clearly saw the bond that we created that only we can measure with our time and experiences together. 

It was that moment that I also realized that all the testing, data reports, grades, and other paperwork don't accurately reflect the achievements made in the past year of me and MY kids. I've seen them stubble, fall, regress, and struggle but most of all I have seen them find success. I've seen them conquer the seemingly impossible in their eyes and accomplish their goals. I've seen them shout for joy when completing a task and exclaim "I did it Ms. D. I did it all by myself!" Kids who couldn't read are now reading. Kids who couldn't write are now writing. Kids who once thought they were worth nothing now see how much they are truly worth. That's what 180 days can do.

One quoteable moment happened when the school counselor was giving the stranger danger talk.  He asked "Is your teacher a stranger?" The class responds "No!" while one kid, who looks at our daily count chart, states, "Well we've know her for 138 days. It was a little weird on day one having a stranger for a teacher but she's not now. We like her." 42 days later here are a few of the compliments I received. 







This is probably my favorite sketch .... the hair is simply amazing and I'm still trying to decide if the Ninjago kid has an extra large sleeve or is wearing a cape. 



These are technically not a note but they are beautiful! (And I can now say a boy gave me flowers.)

It was a great year with many memories, funny moments, good laughs, and lots of learning.

2 comments:

  1. Megan, I want you to be my teacher. You're amazing! Are you switching schools next year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am. I going to Brookman ES. Still teaching 1st grade :) I'm super excited.

      Delete