Wednesday, July 10, 2013

One Word

Have you ever been talking to someone or thinking about something or listening in on other peoples' conversations (no? that's just me??) and a specific word or phrase instantly turns you into the next American Idol? I know you know what I'm talking about. That one word that triggers a chorus line from a song you love ... or hate ... and you can't help but start singing.


For instance the word 
has the amazing ability of summoning the musical talents of 
THE SUPREMES
(STOP in the name of love ...)

MC HAMMER
 (STOP it's hammer time ...)

And of course who can forget
VANILLA ICE 
(STOP collaborate and listen ...)

This morning I had one of the moments and it reminded me of a classroom classic that I almost completely forgot about. Since it's summer and I don't seem to have much to do nor do I want to do much I decided to take the time and share. 

One blissful day (haha yeah right) my kiddos were just getting on my nerves. You'd think after 100+ days they would have figured out the whole "rules" system. But alas, the shouting out continued, the tattling went on, the "what am I supposed to do?" was still asked. During carpet time, I finally stopped and gave them a piece of my mind ... which they never seemed to take. At one point I told them that their choices were making me mad. Before I could continue, from the back of the room I hear in a soft yet audible voice .... "m-m-m-m-m-m-mad mad mad"


As a teacher, sometimes you just can't stay m-m-m-m-m-m-mad mad mad in moments like that. I ended up laughing and moving on with whatever it was that we were doing that day. Now every time I hear that song I think of that musical moment where one word triggered a singing sensation that transformed a mad teacher into a not so mad teacher. Thank you Muse for your inspired lyrics! 

1 comment:

  1. They spell realized incorrectly in this video...just so the misspelling is not perpetuated and because I am proud I noticed.

    ReplyDelete